Thursday, January 12, 2012

Yes, It's Cold and It Sucks

A few years ago, on another (now defunct) blog, somebody told me that I was "not Bend material." After thanking him for the compliment, I told him he was absolutely right; I'd need to shave off about 80 IQ points to qualify as "Bend material."

But there's another way in which I don't make the cut: I fucking hate the cold. I don't find it bracing, invigorating, refreshing or any other absurd adjective that the idiots who claim they "love winter" apply. I just find it painful and miserable.

My friend and comrade in bloggery, Jack Elliott, tells me that one can compensate for the cold by bundling up in sweaters and coats. That's true -- but one's hands and feet and nose and ears are still out there in the open and freezing. Unless I'm going to spend all day curled up inside a Snuggie with mittens on my hands and a Balaclava on my head, cold weather means suffering.

Which is why I'm not real happy about seeing real cold weather finally arrive in Bend. Our incredible string of sunny days continues, but it's finally feeling, if not looking, like winter -- 23 degrees as I'm writing this.

The preceding month was unseasonably warm -- the thermometer hit 50 or above on 13 days -- but it looks like we've seen the last of the "comfortable" or "tolerable" days, temperature-wise, until the middle of May, if not later. And that sucks.

Monthly Totals:

Comfortable Days: 0
Tolerable Days: 0
Cold Days: 31

YTD Totals:

Comfortable Days: 98
Tolerable Days: 59
Cold Days: 89

1 comment:

Marshall_Will said...

Blackdog,

Now that we're having cold WITHOUT snow, some of the cheerleaders will have the catalyst needed for sobriety? Now perhaps the futility the rest of us readily see can become apparent to them as well.

It's been -very- cold here in the Valley and I can't wait to see the heating bills. It's been running 24/7. Now I'll admit we've had some warm-ish afternoons but they're so fleeting it's not like you could 'do' anything w/ them?

As noted before, the vaunted 'High for the Day' taking place in the 15 minutes between 2:45 and 3:00pm. So can't even really jog or take a lengthy walk for that matter.